Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Staying mum

I covered Friday and Saturday basketball games. I worked like crazy on Saturday too. Between 9 a.m. and midnight, I was home for 30 minutes.

Sunday was some of the most intense volleyball I've ever played. We played my boss' new team and he had taken 2 of our teammates with him. Before the match, I knew I had to do something about my serving which has been so ephemeral for 2 years. So I focused on throwing good high tosses and just making solid contact. I practiced with 5 or 6 people for about 10 minutes.

In the first game we led 10-1 and they rallied to tie the game at 11. We got the ball back and I got my first chance to serve. I served 4 straight points and we won Game 1. And these were no Paul Hacket-called dinky-dunky underhand serves, oh no no no. They were low, hard overhand serves.

In the second game we trailed 11-6, but rallied again. Same story. We were tied at 13, I believe and I served 2 more points to put it away.

We went back and forth in the third game, but we were leading 13-12 when time ran out and we went to rally scoring. That was all they needed to score three in a row and take one win away from us.

That was some fine playing by both sides. We looked a hell of a lot better than we did in Week 1 when we got jacked up like Jose Canseco. Anyway, we have a rematch this week with the same team. With Mike coming back, who's one of our best players, we'll be even tougher.

Better than the scores, I was able to stay pretty quiet. I didn't verbalize my anger hardly at all. OK, it may have had something to do with my boss being there. But I still held everything in check. I guess I saved up my anger for the Super Bowl that night.

And the Class A (small schools) girls playoffs are going on. Odds are both our local teams, Aurora Central and Aurora Christian will be done by tonight, certainly they'lll be done Thursday. They did both win Monday but they played against brutal teams. Now they'll face some competition in the regional semis tonight.

My alma mater No. 4 Wheaton Academy has a shot to win regionals, but we have to beat a good No. 5 Immaculate Conception team tonight and then beat Timothy Christian on their ugly court. TC is our arch-rival and we finished 2nd to them in conference. They've gotten some votes in the state poll so it will be really tough.

No we're not talking about Sunday night, except to say I was at Ecclesia and I wish it had run an hour longer. Because as soon as I get into the car and turn on the radio, I have to hear Marv Albert call Corey Dillon's touchdown to put the Eagles down 21-14. And I was having such a good weekend. And to have to hear this dynasty bull now and about Brady. He wouldn't be worth a damn without that coaching staff. If he was on the Giants or Jets, he's be another Jesse Palmer. An average QB with good looks (so some blind women think) who might make it on The Bachelor. It just makes me want to vomit. The only reason that team ever made the playoffs is the front office and coaches. Their players are average. That's no dynasty. But hey, who's upset?

No comments: