Monday, April 10, 2006

The champ is heeee-uhhhh!

I wanted to use the John Cena pronunciation on this one. Anyway, my team won the 2006 Spring Willow Creek Community Church DuPage League Division C volleyball championship! The first game was horrendous. I hit shots that were so off I couldn't believe it. I guess I needed some time to shake off a little rust after missing two weeks. We lost 25-15. After going outside in the 65 degree weather to regain my composure, I was ready.

Actually, our rally had little to do with us. They just started screwing their shots up. They mishit maybe two shots in the entire first game and I think they got a little confident. And we took advantage. We had a slight lead for most of the game and won it 25-22 after scoring 4 of the last 5. I ended the match with a fake spike. I set up like I was going to spike the ball to my left, but I actually hit the ball with the back side of my right hand into the near right corner. Nobody expected it and I had never tried the shot in a match before. But it dropped straight to the Wheaton Academy gym floor and the match was knotted at one game apiece.

I can't remember much about the third game, except we got ahead pretty early and never let them in it. Our lead was never more than 6 or 7 points, but it was decisive. We took it 25-20 and after playing in 7 Willow Creek leagues, I not only got to play in a title game, but won it. They even outscored us over the three games 67-65, and we still did it.

But the funny thing for me was when we won it. I dropped to my knees because I had run around so much. The rest of my teammates just shook each other's hands, we got our T-shirts and that was about it. It's strange, maybe it was because the league was so small. Or maybe we expected to win. Yeah, I got a title, but somehow, the whole thing just didn't add up. I can't really explain it. It feels good to win, but just like that, now it's over. Maybe I thought it would be a little more of an uplifting feeling.

And the Mets are 4-1! Unfortunately, the Cubs are doing well too. And nice job by Chris Reitsma for Atlanta, blowing a 4-3 lead, and not even getting an out. Maybe we can work out a Jorge Julio for Reitsma trade...

No comments: