Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Say your prayers little one

Don't forget my son to include everyone.
Tuck you in warm within
Keep you free from sin
Till the sandman he comes.

Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your pillow tight.
Exit Light
Enter Night.
Take My Hand.
We're off to Never-Neverland.

The opening verse and chorus to Enter Sandman by Metallica. Now I've got to stop right here and ask a question. Have you ever heard of a news story so stupid that it bears repeating and writing about? This is one of those times.

Yankees closer Mariano Rivers has been entering games to "Enter Sandman" for 8 or 9 years. It's a huge deal when the music starts and Rivera enters the game as he is one of the best closers ever. Probably the best. Now Billy Wagner, certianly a very accomplished closer, is a Met and using the same song. Now he's been using it in Houston and Philly for 10 years. He's a Metallica fan unlike Rivera. He loves the song, unlike Rivera. And I have to hear all these Yankee fans, particularly WFAN's Mike Francesa (a diehard Yankee fan, by the way) whining and bitching and moaning about "Oh it's just lame. The Mets are copying the Yankees. You don't mess with the best closer ever. Be original."

I'm sorry, I must have missed something. Since when did Mariano patent the song as his own? I mean, Braden Looper (Mr. popped AC joint) came into games to Hell's Bells by AC/DC and I never heard Trevor Hoffman complain. And Hoffman is the best closer outside of Rivera of recent memory and was the first reliever ever to use music when he entered a game. And Mariano says he's fine with Wagner using the song.

This is so lame an argument that I had to post on it. I mean, why should Wagner change a routine he's had for 10 years just because he's in New York now? It's just stupid.

No comments: