Thursday, April 06, 2006

Recent music, Career fair, Wolves game, Quick one

A couple of songs I've heard over my Pioneer in the Silver Civic.

What Hurts the Most- I'm no Rascal Flatts fan, but this may be their best song. It's #1 now.

Never Mind Me- Big and Rich do a soft rock-soul thing here, that reminds me of a Hall and Oates song. Heard it on the Tonight Show last night. One thing's for sure, whether it works or not, they are not afraid to take risks with their music. And that's to be admired.

Ok, that's about it. Onto last night.

I went to the Chicago Wolves career fair at All State Arena. Actually it was in a tiny building across the street. I have seen graduate school fairs held in bigger rooms. A couple of people never showed up. Chicago Bandits (Jennie Finch's team), Phillips Arena, Atlanta Thrashers, Atlanta Hawks. Now as much as I despise anything Atlanta, if I had the opportunity to do something down there, I would do it. I may not make many friends, but hey, I've always been a little stubborn in a good way.

The longest lines were for the Bulls and the Chicago Rush (arena football). I think I may hae an in with a new lacrosse team that's coming. Since I have a background in watching that sport, I could do something there. And there's a minor league hockey team in Rockford. Of course, a lot of these people were looking at hiring interns and ticket sellers. You have to swallow some serious pride to get in this business.

I did meet a girl in the Bulls line and we talked hockey for a while. She actually likes the Rangers, so this is good.

Then I went in the arena. They had a shooting target game for charity where for a buck, you shoot three pucks at a tic-tac-toe type board. You have to nail three targets in a row and you win a prize. I hit bottom middle, top middle, and middle-middle to win a Wolves video. I haven't played any kind of hockey in 4 years, and I still got my touch. If I could have learned to skate, I could have been really good.

As for the game, the Wolves (Thrashers) played Omaha (Calgary). First of all, I have heard enough pyro in that arena over the past week to make me deaf. My seats were center ice, 12 rows up. Awesome. Chicago won 3-1 in a crazy game. Up 1-0 on a short handed goal most of the way, the Wolves took a penalty with 10 minutes left and a minute later, took a 5 minute major! Omaha, coached by former Wolf Pack coach Ryan McGill, couldn't score. And the Wolves fans were not pleased with the ref as they let him know. With 4 minutes left, Omaha barely scores on a fluke. Then a minute later, Omaha takes a close penalty and the Wolves score. McGill, who had been as passive as Ron Low all game just chewing gum, goes ballistic at the ref! He gets a bench minor and the Wolves score again to win 3-1. I actually had a Ranger jersey on and tried to chant Let's Go Rangers at McGill, but he blew me off.

Of course, Wolves defenseman and former Ranger Tomas Kloucek has been injured since December with a knee tendon problem and could return for the second round of the playoffs, if the Wolves get that far, which is not likely.

Some things never change.

A group of people wanted to take the toilet from the late Grateful Dead leader Jerry Garcia's house and donate it to a museum, but a couple of people stole it. When the police arrived at the house to investigate, they had nothing to go on.

As I said, some things...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.