Friday, October 29, 2004

For us the bell tolls...

Well we're done. Wheaton Academy fell in double overtime to Sycamore 2-1, marking the second time we've fallen in the state quarterfinals. Tough finish is the best I can say.
The pace went back and forth in the first half. We had a corner kick less than a minute in and just missed. They took over for most of the first until we controlled the last 10 minutes. Scoreless at halftime. We had several good chances, but just couldn't convert. We scored on a complete fluke where the ball bounced toward the Sycamore golaie and the wind took it off his hands and it trickled into the net. Lucky yes, but at the 21 minute mark we went up 1. They scored with 10 minutes left after a doink off the cross bar. Loads of traffic in front of our goal and they put in the 17th rebound. They won it off a diagonal cross that our keeper had trouble judging in the heavy wind. He tipped it right to a Sick-amore player and that was it.
We had a goal nullified on an offside penalty, which I'm used to seeing in most high school and college soccer games (and I've seen a LOT!) So I don't have to worry about sneaking out of work to drive 45 minutes to Naperville to catch the end. The Warriors took care of that for me.
Saw CJ, who was the guy who admitted me into Wheaton Academy. Now he's working at Tyndale Publishing in design. He told me how hard it is to get in there for work. Not the news I needed to hear. But he was the first guy I met at WA and he helped set the tone for my next 2 years. Two good years too.
Also saw Channing, a really neat girl. Goes to Wheaton College. From Texas. Hadn't seen her in a while. We had a nice chat. No more details.
I did get to go up into the press room. They had catered meals and I had to help myself. Never mind I'd just had a cheesesteak sandwich; I found room. Amazing what a little Daily Herald punch card will do for you...
Well, it's football playoff time in Illinois and the scores are coming in. Time to work. I'll check back in tomorrow night. Peace peeps!

No comments: