Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Been a weak week

Not really, I just felt like opening BOSCHINY's first 2006 post with another lovely pun. Now that I'm past the weekend, I am coherent to the point where I can think and type at the same time.

I'll have previews of the NFL Wild Card weekend and an Ecclesia update soon. I'll also give you my thoughts on some recent music, the New York Knicks DVD collection, and the Jets offseason in time, but right now, I have to talk about the Mets.

I'll tell you what, I had no problem trading Jae Seo for this LA reliever Duaner Sanchez. This guy, who as one very astute person said may become the best Mets player ever named Duaner, apparently has the fastball and changeup of Eric Gagne, the temper of Milton Bradley, and the goggles of Francisco Rodriguez. That's fine. Seo is 30, Sanchez is 26 and with the Mets for at least 2 years. Seo's trading value is the highest it will ever be and I still don't know how reliable he would be this year with the National League having tmie to adjust to his new arsenal of pitches.

But why give up on Tim Hamulack, a young really good left handed relief pitcher when God knows we need a lefty? Pedro Feliciano, who I like a lot, does have an ERA around 5 in Winter Ball right now. Matt Perisho is average and Royce Ring probably holds the record for most exposures in the Rule 5 Draft. With Hamulack gone, that's one option less to who can pitch to Bobby Abreu, Jacque Jones, and Ryan Howard in late game situations.

I guess Aaron Heilman is now insurance when the first starter gets injured. But now that he's been pushed out of the 8th inning setup role and he wants to start, he will not be happy about getting relegated to a 6th/7th inning pitcher. Maybe we will trade Kris Benson. Actually I think I want to keep Benson and pictures of his wife, but send her and her mouth back to Georgia.

Now in this trade, they also got Steve Schmoll, another righty reliever who can't retire lefties. Is Omar Minaya trying to resurrect the ghost of Braden Looper?! And like Chad Bradford, he's a submarine style pitcher, which means in the big spots, he's mostly baloney.

And even better, we signed second baseman Bret Boone to a minor league deal. Boy oh boy. He couldn't do anything to help Minnesota against the American League Central for heaven's sake. Who's Omar going to get next? Joey Cora? Jay Buhner? Is Jay Bell still playing? I just hope Anderson Hernandez and Jeff Keppinger get a legitimate shot to make the big club.

No comments: