Thursday, January 05, 2006

Thoughts on the Jets

It's a pretty safe assumption that Jets coach Herman Edwards is on his way to the Kansas City Chiefs. A press conference could happen as soon as Friday afternoon, my sources tell me.

I'm not going to bash Herman here. I'd rather bash Terry Bradway, the General Manager, whose performance has ranked somewhere between poor and foolish over 5 years. I'm going to bash the Jet fans. I have been on theganggreen.com for a while this morning and I am amazed at how this guy gets treated worse than Rich Kotite, Jim Dolan, or Ed Whitson. It's amazing. One guy said "It's amazing we can get a 7th rounder for such a bad coach." Most people call him mediocre at best. One guy had a whole thread explaining how Herm's IQ was around the levels of Forrest Gump.

Herman Edwards had his shortcomings, no doubt. The two biggest are his in game management (time managing and play calling, though he's got defense in his background anyway) and his handling of the QB's and Curtis Martin. He ran Curtis too much when Blaylock, Cedric Houston, and BJ Askew should have gotten more time. And allowing Chad Pennington to re-enter the Jacksonville game after he had re-torn his right rotator cuff was inexcusable.

But Edwards got this team into the playoffs in his first year, including a win in Oakland on the last day of the season to make it. He got this team to rebound from a 1-5 start (including a 3 game span they lost by a combined score of 102-13) to finish 8-2, make the playoffs, win the AFC East, hammer Indianapolis in the opener, before falling to Oakland and the league MVP Rich Gannon. They missed the playoffs the next year thanks to Pennington going out with a broken wrist and injured rotator cuff. They then won their first 8 games last year. Of course they couldn't beat New England, but that aside. They made the playoffs, beat San Diego on the road, and would've beaten Pittsburgh in Ketchup Field had Doug F'N Brien made one of his 2 overtime field goals.

This year was a washout with so many guys going on injured reserve. Chad Pennington, Jay Fiedler, Derrick Blaylock, Wayne Chrebet, Chris Baker, Marko Cavka, Jason Fabini, Kevin Mawae, Darrell McClover, Eric Barton all injured. The year was

I could see him going to Kansas City and winning the division next year easily. They have a young defense and Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes at running back. I know Trent Green is getting old, but he's still a very accurate and capable passer. I hope he does do well there just to stick it to all the Jet fans who consider him so incompetent and overlook the good things he's done.

And who replaces him? I don't want Jim Haslett, I don't want Mike Sherman, I don't want Mike Martz, I don't want Dom Capers, I don't want Steve Mariucci, I don't want Mike Tice, though he wouldn't be the worst choice. And besides it won't be hard finding tickets for a 4-12 team. I'd rather them promote either Heimerdinger or Henderson or steal a current assistant, like the Bears' Ron Rivera, if they wait until Chicago loses in the playoffs, which will probably take a month. This guyKirk Ferentz from Iowa is supposed to be very good too. I don't want a college guy though. I want a guy who is tough and no-nonsense for a young team. And they will be young. They'll be a lot of rebuilding going on this offseason. I would almost consider signing John Abraham to a one-year deal and trading him for high draft picks. They need too much help and they probably won't be able to afford him anyway.

It really is amazing. This team has gone from Super Bowl contender to complete disarray in a matter of 4 months. Welcome to the NFL. Welcome to the New York Football Jets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my sources tell me? is that because you are a broadcas6t journalist?

Anonymous said...

You say you don't want to bash Herman but what about the way he has handled this? Constantly saying he will stay when the contrary was obvious?

How sad is it that leaders in all walks of life today say one thing and then do the exact opposite? It seems to me that Herm's behavior is now the norm and not the exception.

Why aren't we holding our leaders more responsible for living up to their promises? Why aren't there repercussions for people who act and behave the way Herm Edwards has done in recent days?