Thursday, January 05, 2006

Knicks DVD

One of the best gifts I got was the New York Knicks DVD collection. It has 5 DVD's, including 8 full length games from their original TV broadcast. I've only watched 2 or 3 games, but a few things I've noticed.

1) Mom noticed the short shorts of the 1980's. That's how she knew the game I was watching was old school.

2) Bill Cartwright in a Knick uniform just does not look good. It's not right. He's a Bull. He caused Patrick Ewing enough problems for 6 years. He's no Knick. Then again, I guess that is why he wears three NBA championship rings.

3) Watching games of the latter era is bittersweet. The Knicks of the 1990's should have won at least one championship. It almost makes this a little empty. Nonetheless, at least they used to be competitive. And they used to be entertaining. And that's a lot more than we can say after the the last 5 years.

4) Marv Albert is the best basketball broadcaster there has ever been. Period. So Jim Dolan deserves all the heat in the world for this. If he never did anything else wrong as owner of Madison Square Garden, the fact that he tried to tell Marv Albert how to broadcast and subsequently driving him to the New Jersey Nets is a travesty. It's like Richard Simmons teaching Mozart how to play piano.

5) Tom Hammond of NBC should stick to horse racing. That's all he can do.

6) Can Bill Walton broadcast one game without referencing the Grateful Dead or UCLA one time?!

7) When Walt Frazier did the 5-minute introduction for the DVD, there should have been a subtitle option where you can get definitions for words he uses that you have never heard of before.

8) The entire 1985 draft lottery broadcast where the Knicks got Patrick Ewing is on here. The lottery used to be so quaint. David Stern spends 10 minutes just explaining the rules! And there were only seven teams.

9) I wish I could have watched the Larry Johnson 4-point play against Indiana in Game 3 of the 1999 Eastern Conference Finals live. I would have gone absolutely crazy. But I was on my senior high school trip to Colorado at the time. And I missed all of the finals because I was in Idaho on a mission trip. Considering how that series turned out, it was the best thing. And now, I'm almost glad they didn't win that series against San Antonio because I wouldn't have been able to watch the clinching game.

No comments: