Monday, January 09, 2006

College notes

Well after a lot of ranting lately, I think I can giev it a rest for a little bit, at least until the Jets name their next head coach.

But I thought I would take a few minutes to share with you, my peeps, a few quirky notes from colleges I have encountered while working in the College Division at Houghton Mifflin. Here are my favorite college names that I've encountered after 6 weeks.

10) Cardinal Stritch University
9) Bohecker's Business College
8) Bastyr University
7) Big Sandy Community Technical College
6) Turtle Mountain Community College
5) Rust College
4) Marlboro College
3) Chief Dull Knife College
2) Definace College (that's just asking for trouble, to me)
1) Pillsbury Baptist Bible College

Also I saw Cleveland Chiropractic College. And they offer a wide selection of history classes. If you're going to a chiropractic college, what's the point of world history? To come up with something to talk about to the patients while you're working on them?

Why is there a Canada College in California?

Why is Southern State Community College in Hillsboro, Ohio?

I went to Gordon, part of the Commonwealth Coast Conference in New England. I have worked with Gordon, University of New Egland, Curry, Endicott, Eastern Nazarene, Regis, Colby-Sawyer, Nichols, and Anna Maria. That's nine out of 13 schools.

For family interest, I've done St. Francis-Kearny, Mitchell College and Connecticut College in New London, CT.

And right now I'm listing the course information from MIT. I've only gotten to the chemistry separtment and I think I've already overloaded a few brain cells. Look at some of these course titles in this one department:
Organometallic Chemistry.
The Protein Folding Problem. (About the only interest I'd have in this is what foods are highest in protein so I can increase my muscle mass).
Spectroscopy and Organic Structure Determination.

Boy, I'm glad I was a comunication major. Plus the books were way cheaper!

And MIT is the only college I've seen so far that has a professor with the last name Einstein, Prof. Herbert Einstein teaches civil and environmental engineering. Can't you imagine what his students say? "Man, he think he's some sort of Einstein!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to reading your take of the Giants game--please don't disappoint me--how about the Rangers getting Sykora for Kondratiev--not bad

Anonymous said...

As a graduate of Stritch I can say it's a fun little college. I went there (class of '96) before it was a university and before they made the unfortunate mascot switch from the Crusaders to the Wolves (huh???!!). Milwaukee can be way too distracting though when you're trying to obtain an education! Mmmmm....beer....