Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Chai talking, you're telling me lies

As an anti-coffee crusader, I have a very limited selection when I saunter inside a Starbucks, Caribou, or any coffee shop. As of late, I've tried a few different drinks and offer my comments.

Caribou Caramel Apple Blast: I tried this about 3 weeks ago. I must say I was impressed. A hint of caramel really rounds this out.

La Spiaza Hot Cider: Or as I call it, La Piazza in downtown Wheaton across the street from Starbuck's. They actually seel bumper stickers that read "friends don't let friends drink starbuck's." The cider I tried was incredibly hot and incredibly bland. No spice or added flavors. It just tasted like someone threw a cup of grocery store brand apple juice into a micro and jacked the power up to the max. Fortunately, they have Goose Island root beer and ab out 50 shot flavors as well. And frozen gelato!

Starbuck's Caramel Apple Cider: This works pretty well. Steamed apple juice, caramel, cinnamon syrup and whipped cream. I warn you, this thing is compressed inside that cup. The last time I ordered one, I took the lid off to add some spices. Well, I didn't realize the whipped cream was on top. Suffice to say I had to take my clothes to the cleaners the next day.

Border's Chai Tea: Absolutely hideous. It tastes like powder (they actually make it from powder) and it's just very flat and boring. If you're going to get a drink at Border's go with something bottled, preferrably water.

Starbuck's Chai Tea Latte: The girl at the counter asked me if I wanted the tea or the latte. That threw me off so I said tea, thinking a latte had to have coffee. So I figured out the tea meant a bag and changed my order. She only charged me for the tea, which was very cool of her. Apparently, they make their chai from a liquid concentrate of some type. Ingredients include black tea blend with exotic spices, steamed milk, and honey. I must say that was fine chai. I added extra cinnamon, which is not something I can do without.

I still plan on trying the Caribou Chai Tea, but there's such a fine line between fine chai and bad chai. I guess the best places charge you a bit more, but it's worth it to get the good stuff.

No comments: