Thursday, December 28, 2006

Now who do we get?

I haven't written a thing about the Mets (the best team in baseball in 2006) since December 12. Now after what I've just heard. I'm ready. Barry Zito, the pitcher we wanted, the pitcher we needed, the pitcher all of baseball assumed was coming to us, signs with San Francisco for a guaranteed 7 years and 126 million dollars. It could go to 8 for over 150 million. I am ready to throw up. So let's see. Our rotation is now still Tom Glavine and Orlando Hernandez (both old and the latter of whom I think invented baseball back in the 19th century), two good, young, question marks in John Maine and Oliver Perez, and two youngsters in Mike Pelfrey and Phillip Humber. Both are projected to be great future stars, but are they ready now? Now one of them is needed.

The Mets have the lineup, the speed, the power, the average, though they are aging. They have a pretty decent bullpen assuming someone steps in to fill Bradford's spot. But we needed that young innings-eating starting pitcher and now all that's really available are Jeff Weaver (ugh), Steve Trachsel (been here, done that), Joel Piniero (more of a swing man), Tomo Ohka (coming off surgery, but an Omar favorite), Tony Armas (intriguing but inconsistent), Mark Redman (the infamous All-Star in KC last year, but decent), and an injured Mark Mulder (Very disappointing since coming to the National League). This is not exactly exciting me.

I know I can be the biggest pessimist in the world. I can be the most emotional too. Most of you know that. But I think if things stay the same, 2006 is going to be a mirage in the long run. If nothing else changes on this roster or unless some young unexpected player emerges, we are going to have a load of 7-5 type games (high scoring) and probably win about 80-85 games and miss the playoffs.

More heartbreak for the team that should have won it all last year, the New York Metropolitans.

No comments: