Friday, December 29, 2006

Summing up 2006

Well another year is about gone. I hear comedian Lewis Black, who I'm not a big fan of, say 2006 was such a bad year in general, you could have spent it in a coma and it would have been good compared to other people.

I can't say it was that bad, but after reviewing my posts over the last 12 months, I've made a few observations. So here is my list of the Top 10 Notable Moments in my personal 2006.

1) Papa passing away

It happened in the middle of January, I can't remember the exact date, I know it was a Satuday morning. Dad lived downstairs from him now. He opened the door to the house and found him in his bedroom. Heart attack, they say. I don't agree. It was broken. It broke when his wife, Madeline got Alzheimer's and had to live in a nursing home. I flew to Brooklyn and after some plane and car issues, got there just in time for the visitation. I even got to read Scripture at the service in the church where he attended mass every week. And now he's gone. I wished I could have had the chance to say goodbye. But he was a good grandfather and I'll always have that in me. Went back to the house where my dad grew up in the 50's and 60's. It was so much smaller than I remembered. Four people, one bathroom which was painted flamingo pink! But I miss that house and seeing my grandparents together.

2) Ecclesia continuing on.

It's done wonders for my social life and given me something to look forward to each week. The related Wednesday night group is not easy like it was when I first started going in August. I feel like an outcast sometimes there. I know I say things sometimes that don't make sense, but I wish they could look past that. Then agin, so do I.

3) Mom's foot issues.

It's been brutal. She's been out of work since September of 05 and we've been living on my meager wages and disability checks. Four foot surgeries later and only recently could she find shoes that fir on her swollen left foot. Our hope is she'll be back to work at O'Hare by April. For the money and her state of mind, I hope so.

4) Disc golf

Played it in Lombard for the first time this past May. It was me, Chris McElwee, and Ryan Culp. Now I claimed to be the world's worst frisbee thrower. And a lot of my first throws were terrible. But I kept playing nearly every week through the fall and had rounds as good as nine over par. The discs are in the trunk of my car and I'll be ready to fling them again as soon as the weather warms up.

5) Winning my first Willow Creek Church sports title in volleyball

Six lost seasons and I get my vindication. Here's the post I wrote on this in April, one week to the day after watching Wrestlemania live at the All State Arena.

6) Working with Katrina victims in Mississippi and Louisiana

One of the most meaningful experiences in my life. The journal is posted in the June o6 section. Incredible people both on my team and in the area. I've seen a few of them since the trip, but I miss those guys.

7) Trip to Baltimore
My father and I spent a weekend in Baltimore, MD. Working as much as I am, I don't really get to travel like I used to. Because of that, maybe I appreciate those times more now. We went to place like the Babe Ruth Museum (a must for any baseball fan), Camden Yards (where we saw the Orioles win in two blowouts over Tonronto and ate incredible sandwiches at Boog Powell's BBQ), Fell's Point (a watertown neighborhood that reminds me of New England with the cobblestone streets), the World Trade Center (Really just a shorter observatory tower, but is like the Hancock Building with its panoramic view of the city), and the Inner Harbor with its historical ships and aquarium (I'm sure it was nice, but not worth spending 40 dollars to go to). And may I mention Fleming's? They have the absolute best peach cobbler in the world.
We're going to try to take a trip once each year. Let's see where this one takes us.

8) Getting a new job at CEC in finacial aid.
Very sudden and I'm not sure what I'll be thinking about a year from now. Considering I was contacted, interviewed, and accepted in about 24 hours on a Friday afternoon, it was not the easiest way to leave Houghton Mifflin, a place I had grown to like. But I had no choice. The money was bad, jobs were iffy, and there was not much hope for an expanded role, so I had to take the chance. Three months later, I've had some good days and bad days. I'm not overjoyed with my bosses, but I have to deal with that. That just happens. I feel sometimes that if I'm doing this type of work in five years, I will question myself and if I'm wasting what I'm good at? Or maybe this is something I should be doing right now. Or it's a long term investment. I don't know.

9) The Mets great run coming up short
Joy and heartache. My boys dominated the NL like a pack of dogs on a three-legged cat. Think of the memories. Getting Billy Wagner and Carlos Delgado for this season. Jose Reyes becoming just about the best leadoff man in baseball. Paul LoDuca excels in the No. 2 spot. Jose Valentin dominates Milwaukee at the only game I saw live this year. Pedro Feliciano, Chad Bradford, and Darren Oliver dominating in middle relief. Endy Chavez emerges. Cliff Foyd's injuries. Lastings Milledge's attitude. Pedro's injured. Acquiring El Duque. Duaner Sanchez also dominates out of the pen before his car crash in Miami that fateful July night. Trading Xavier Nady for Roberto Hernandez and Oliver Perez and later acquring a faded Shawn Green in response. David Wright has an MVP caliber first half, does great in the home run derby, and fades in the second half. The amazing double play he started in Philly to beat the Phillies and essentially knock them out of the NL East race. John Maine emerging from out of nowhere. Two grand slams in the same inning in Wrigley Field. (I love that one!). Being down 7-1 to St. Louis and rallying for a walk-off win. The 20th anniversary and reunion of the 1986 World Series champions. Plans for a new ballpark. Tied for the most wins in baseball. A 3-0 sweep over the Dodgers in the first round. And pure misery after a Game 7 loss at home to a team that had no business making it to a sixth game against us.

10) Wisconsin Dells
Wanna get away? I know I needed to. And 3 days in the Dells was just what the doctor ordered.

Part 1 and Part 2

So that's a few highlights and lowlights from 2006 A.D. Let's see what happens over the next 12 months.

No comments: