Friday, December 01, 2006

Welcome to December

and to the first snowfall of the year. 6 inches for my morning commute to Hoffman Estates. I seriously have no idea how I drove to work without any problems. I passed at least 15 cars that were just stuck in the middle of the road. Driving was like playing a video game and trying to avoid the obstacles. I even gut stuck behind a big green garbage truck that got caught in some snow.

I made it to work around 8:30, a half hour late, but there was no need for me to be worried. About a third of the people on the floor showed up and the majority showed up after I did. The cool part was the company brought Lou Malnati's pizza for us. Very cool to get lunch, but I have to say as good as their pizza is, their sausage is downright horrible.

Meanwhile last Monday night, Seattle hosted Monday Night Football. It snowed throughout the whole game. The next day, I'm driving to work , listening to the radio, and hearing all the horror stories. People didn't get home from work until 2 or 3 in the morning. Some motorists actually left their car on the side of the road. It sounded very serious. Know how much snow accumulated? ONE INCH!!! How pathetic is that? If you're from that area, I'm sorry, but that is pathetic. One lousy inch of snow and you're leaving your car? In Chicago, we call that kind of weather the month of May! Have these people never heard of rock salt or plows or shovels or 4-wheel drive? They get rained on 350 days a year and they can't handle a little cold white dusting from high up above. I just don't get it. Enough of that. Let's move on.

If you're ever in Wisconsin, go to a good cheese shop, (I went to Market Square Cheese) and get some Butter Kase cheese. It's got a little more fat than most cheeses and it's a solid cheese, but it is so creamy and flavorful. I guess that's where the fat comes in.

Onto sports. Tom Glavine is back with the Mets, 1 year with a player option and 10.5 million dollars. I am absolutely convinced he wanted to return to Atlanta to be with his family. I can;t really blame him for that, but the fact that the Mets gave him a no-trade clause and the Braves wouldn't, the Mets offered more money, that all tells me that he wanted to give Atlanta every chance to get him back. I am happy that he made his decision before the winter meetings begin next week. Now Omar Minaya needs to get Barry Zito, a relief pitcher (maybe an Octavio Dotel), and a second baseman (Mark Loretta, maybe Julio Lugo, please no Ronnie Belliard) and I'll be happy.

Onto football. After all the Giants have been through the last few weeks, I can't possibly imagine them beating Dallas, even if the game is in New York. Unfortunately, I can't watch the game live as I'll be playing in the volleyball playoffs, so I'll have to tape it. I think the Jets-Packers could go any number of ways. I do think if the Jets are going to win, they need to lead early. Pressure Brett Favre and make him hurry his throws, because that is when he turns the ball over. It's amazing we came so close to drafting Favre in 1991... And instead we wound up with the immortal Browning Nagle. I will watch the game at Rookie's in St. Charles and I'll say the Jets win.

There is no Knick player I want to see succeed more from a Knicks perspective than Eddy Curry. Not that he's the most likable guy in the world, he isn't. The way he looks on the floor sometimes, you wonder if he has a pulse. But for giving up 2 first rounders and Mike Sweetney for him? He's been looking better the last few games. The question is was that a mirage? If he can give 16 points, 9 rebounds per game, I'd be happy. And who would have thought this. The Knicks are tied for the most road wins in the NBA with 5 and are one game out of the Atlantic Division lead with the hardest month of the season behind them. How sad is it that there are only four teams in the Eastern Conference out of 15 with winning records?

Eight days from the Ring of Honor Chicago Spectacular! I know Greg and James are both pumped up for this as am I.

No comments: