Saturday, March 12, 2005

Weekend shase

What does shase mean, you ask? It's just a word I made up. Let me put it this way. Like when you're really out of it and you just let a sound come out of your mouth. 8 times out of 10, you will say the word shase. It means referring to things that are going on, although nothing is really going on right now. So it's a state of waiting for something to coming along. Work has been slow the past 2 days. Daily Herald stuff is slow and spring sports don't really get going until 10 days from now. A few things on my mind.

ESPN Page 3 listed the 100 Greatest sports movie quotes of all time. Here are the top 10.

10. "You're gonna eat lightning, and you're gonna crap thunder!" Rocky

9. "Oh, there they go. There they go. Every time I start talkin' 'bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out their ass. That's their one, that's their one. Rocky Marciano! Rocky Marciano!"Coming to America

8. "You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!" Bull Durham

7. "There's no crying in baseball!" A League of Their Own.

6. "Sweep the leg."The Karate Kid

5. "I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."Airplane! (I'll get to this in a moment.)

4. "Juuuust a bit outside!" Major League

3. "Show me the money!" Jerry Maguire

2. "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. Let's face it. It was you, Charley." On The Waterfront

1. "Yo Adrian!" Rocky

Funny, I've never even heard of the number 2 movie! Numbers 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 qualify to be in my top 5. If you build it he will come was number 11. I would say of alll the sports films I've seen, Field of Dreams has the most memorable quotes. Between Build It, Anything Doc Graham says, Wanna have a catch, it's just loaded. James Earl Jones' speech at the end of the film didn't even make the top 100! But Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in Airplane is downright classic. It's actually playing on WGN right now. SURELY, though, it should have been higher than number 5... We have clearance Clarence. Roger Roger. What's our vector Victor? Clear for clearance over. That's Clarence Oveur. Over. Roger. Huh? Roger Over? Huh? Who?

I passed on a job offer at Primerica. Basically, I didn't like only getting paid by commission and I didn't want to recruit clients. Let me say this. It's tough letting this kind of stuff go and staying at that crappy daytime job. I may be young, but I'm not patient at things like this. I do think something will come along. Wonder where, wonder when, wonder what.

I'm playing CMT's 100 Greatest Love Songs on the internet. Right now, Willie's "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" is playing. Man, that's good stuff on a cold quiet night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was under Over and he was under Dunn.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.