Friday, September 15, 2006

Convenient timing

Well due to some password problems, I cannot access my databases at work. I'm still waiting to hear back from the help desk which means a few minutes to blog.

First of all, to the anonymous dude who asked about the cute female Cardinals fan whose blog I had visited and was in conversation with, she took down her photo. Sorry.

A few notes as the weekend approaches.

1) Facebook is bigger than Myspace now. I probably have 25 or so friends on Myspace (half of whom are musicians or wrestlers). But in three weeks, I already have passed that number on Facebook. For one thing, it's much better organized. And also, the restrictions on picture sizes isn't as bad.

2) My last 3 disc golf rounds have been +12, +12, +15. I'm getting better and better, I just wish I could throw a straight disc when I want to. What can I say, a physical activity that's free just works well for me.

3) My volleyball league resumes in either one or two weeks, depending how quickly some teams can get assembled. I'm ready to defend our championship.

4) I don't see the Jets winning against the evil Patriots this week, although New England seems a little vulnerable right now, and I see the Giants laying the Eagles to waste.

5) One more win and the Mets clinch the National League East for the first time since Ronald Reagan was President! I'll feel bad that we'll win while our old teammate Xavier Nady is on the other team, but that's the unfortunate breaks of life. And I wish it could have been at home too. But hey our magic number for clinching the best record in the NL is 5. Who am I to complain. If we only had homefield in the World Series...

6) Fantasy baseball is going well. I'm in the semifinals in two leagues and winning both by slim margins, including one over a certain Brian Geddes. I am Wright of Way, he is Spanky McButterpants, which coincidentally is my name in an upcoming movie. Funny, I finished first in the regular season, he finished sixth out of eight and he beat me both times we played. As for the other, I'm "Team...The Time..." the #2 seed facing the #3 and this guy is making moves literally every day to beat me. So far I'm holding up 6-4 through Thursday and the game ends Sunday. I want a championship, but If I win both my games this week, the worst that can happen is two second place finishes. I'd be okay with that.

7) I saw a piece on CBS about Greenhouse gasses and the effects on the environment. Now I'm no environmentalist, but this bothered me. Due to global warming, ice is melting faster in the Arctic Circle. Consequently, animals who live there like polar bears could be in trouble, small islands could eventually flood, and heat droughts could get worse in time. This guy says we have about a decade to really reverse the effects or they may be unchangeable. Not a pleasant thought.

8) Hard news: Ecclesia's fall retreat is scheduled for October 27-29, the same weekend as Ring of Honor's return to Chicago Ridge. I am not pleased at all. Maybe they'd let me leave Saturday afternoon and come back Sunday morning. Here's the thing: I always have a ball at Ring of Honor, but if I miss this retreat, I know I will regret it. So I'm trying to sell the ticket I already brought for ROH. Anybody want it? It's third row by the wrestler's entrance! If you don't know the wrestlers, it's okay, I'll prep you on anything you need to know before the show!

9) I'm getting my metrosexual treatment on Saturday at Sportclips. Now people may not think of me as being Metro and my style of dress wouldn't suggest that I am as my wardrobe basically spreads from blue to black. And I've never had a facial, manicure, or any other of these David Beckham/Brad Pitt/George Clooney deals. But I'm looking forward to my massage, steamed towel treatment, and full shampoo and conditioner on top of my haircut.

10) I have to credit the Filling Station in downtown St. Charles. They have a good burger, but their fries are excellent. They are handcut (like Scooby's used to be) and you can tell by the way they look and the taste. When you pop one in your mouth, it just tastes fresh.

Bonus: I'll throw in two Mitch Hedberg jokes.

I drove by a company that sells manufactured homes. But these are repossessed manufactured homes. I would not want to be a manufactured home repo man. Those would be hard to sneak away. "Knock, knock, knock. Hi, could you go cut your grass... then look that way for half an hour?"

I bought a scratch-off lottery ticket, but then I accidentally spilled calamine lotion on it, so it did not need to be scratched. Damn! I will not know if I have won!

No comments: