Monday, September 18, 2006

Transition time in sports

Well the NY Rangers have opened training camp. First exhibition game is Wednesday. Jagr is still not recovered from his shoulder injury. We'll get more into hockey in the upcoming weeks.

The Mets get swept by that powerhouse team in Pittsburgh, proving once again they cannot hit left handed pitching. They had 20 at bats in this series with runners in scoring posiiton. They had 3 hits. Not a good sign. So we will likely win the NL East at home which is fine by me. this team has been a great regular season team. I still question how good they will be in the playoffs.

As for football, what can you say? How about those Giants. I didn't see the game, but I wished I could have. They were down 24-7 in Philadelphia during the 4th quarter. Amazingly, they tie the score and then win it in overtime 30-24 on a 31 yard pass from Eli Manning to Plaxico Burress. This is the first time the Giants have rallied to win from 17 down in the 4th to win since 1970. I wonder how many broken TV's are laying around in Philly living rooms this morning.

I never expected the Jets to beat the Patriots. And after falling behind 24-0, they scored 17 straight, but couldn't score on their final drive. Chad Pennington, Laveranues Coles, and Jerricho Cotchery are amazing. If you saw that TD, Jerricho scored when he was parallel to the ground being tackled by 2 Pats defenders, still got up, and scored the touchdown, was that not incredible? As much as I hate the Patriots, their players, their coaches, and their fans, I really don't feel too bad about this loss.

Problems are: 1) the Jets have no running game. The o-line is still too inexperienced and Derrick Blaylock is horrible Coach Mangini has got to activate Cedric Houston for next week's game against Buffalo. 2) No QB pressure by the defense. That scumbag Brady had years to throw the ball. 3) Bad run defense. Our #4 overall pick from a few years ago Dewayne Robertson is officially a bust.

The only early game I had was that Bears-Lions debacle where the Bears had the game won before your rear end even hit the seat.

And as for fantasy sports, I went a perfect 7-0! All 3 of my football teams won, I won both football suicide pools, and both my baseball teams won their playoff semifinals matches by slim margins and will play for their respective league titles over the next two weeks.

No comments: