Friday, October 27, 2006

Final post before retreat

I'm pretty excited about it. I don't know how many people are going but I would guesstimate 25-35. I'm not thrilled about doing a car pool beause I'm a little tight for time, but it'll be good to have people in the car anyway. And the rain is out of here too which is certainly a step up from last year. Last year we had six or seven hours to just go off by ourselves and do what we needed to do to get with God. I was so beat, I wound up sleeping for about 5 of them!

Here's a good story from Wednesday night at Houlihan's. I promised I would not mention wrestling since Ring of Honor is this weekend in Chicago and I have to miss it because of the retreat. Bryan Danielson vs Samoa Joe!!! Anyway, people asked me how I'm going to feel at the end of the weekend and Greg Smith (the borderline wrestling fan who I've been trying to convince to go to a show with me) gets going on the topic. I mention again the return date is Dec 9. I asked again if he wanted me to get tickets. He weighed both sides, but he caved in and said "Yes!" James, another guy at the table, who I don't think has ever really watched wrestling said he was interested. So I decided to get three tickets.

Now my friends Jill and Sarah overhear this and we've been trying to convince them to go. At least Jill was at least open to going one time, even if she's not into it. But Sarah, who I've known for 5 years, is having none of it. It surprises me because she's cool and seems open to trying anything once. But she won't do it. What bothers me is she's going by her perceptions of wrestling on TV to gauge what I'm going to go see.

So she said "If you all play for my ticket, then maybe I would consider going." Which to me is a nice way of saying "No way Jose." She did ask what night the event was. I said "A Saturday night. It's not like you're going to have a dtae or anything that weekend. You're free, you have no excuses."

That may be the cleverest, wittiest, and meanest thing I've said to anyone in a while. I was proud I even thought of it, but I certainly didn't want to hurt her. She knows me well enough, I don't think she minded that much. She did laugh though. Hey, the whole table roared laughing.

Well, one week is basically down at CEC. Some things I have grasped quite quickly, and others, well, not as fast. It's just a lot of information and a lot of situations to use that information. I don't know if it's possible to learn it all, but I'm trying to get a little bit each day and make steady progress. I think if I can do that, I will be okay.

I have to end this on a sad note. For the second time in three years, I think, a student in my high school was killed. 17 years old. I didn't know her but she lived two towns south of me. And not only that, right around the time the accident happened, I was driving on the same road just a few miles north in Geneva. Here's the link.
http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=243461

No comments: