Wednesday, October 11, 2006

NLCS time baby!

Game one between your (and my) New York Mets and the Cardinals of St. Louis kicks off tonight. 7 pm Central Standard time. You know, most people think the Mets will have little trouble winning in 5 or games. But I am always very cautious with these types of things. I never let me expectations get too high for any of my teams. Somehow, it lessens the disappointment if only by a little bit.

I think we should win, but I don't know if we WILL win. We already know Pedro and El Duque or done for the season. No big secret there. With his Achilles proble, Cliff Floyd is moving slower that Stephen Hawking through a snow storm. Now I find out that Carlos Beltran has a torn muscle in his abdomen! Oh the pain!

On a good note, the Mets don't have to see Chris Carpenter until the series moves to St. Luois in Game 3. Thankfully, he won't pitch more than twice. Scott Rolen is expected to play despite his shoulder problems. Jim Edmonds will play despite the pain in his foot. And the bullpen was excellent against the Padres and they continually got hits off the bench from guys like Scott Spiezio and So Taguchi.

Don't think I'm overconfident. I've seen too many heartaches and suffered enough ageda to know better.

If we can starting pitching like what we got in LA, we will win. It's that simple. If not, we'll be in trouble. That said, I would like to see a starter last into the 7th inning though!

I like the odds of Glavine vs. Weaver in Game 1. That's a game we should win for sure. Game 2 Maine vs. Suppan. I don't know. Maine gives up homers and with Pujols, I dread the thought. Suppan is either really good or really bad, but the Mets should hit him. Game 3 Carpenter vs. Trachsel. I'll surrender this one. Game 4 is Oliver Perez against TBA for STL. I'm guessing it'll be Jason Marquis over Anthony Reyes. Talk about on or off pitchers. Look up questionable pitchers in the baseball dictionary and you'll see a big photo of Perez.

But I'll be fair. Mets in 7.

No comments: