Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Flooding

Well these last two days have been one adventure. Never mind the 27 hours of work. It's been the aftermath. We have had an ungodly amount of rain. I left work at 10 pm Monday and it was raining incredibly hard, but I figured I could still get home. With a 1/4 mile to go, I notice a puddle is coming up. I kept going and all of a sudden, I wasn't going anymore. With a monsoon pouring down on my car, I was stuck. My car would not start up again and after about 15 minutes, water began creeping in through the bottom. I called 911. The water kept rising and rising, and it almost reached the seats. It came very close, but not quite that far. Fortunately, the police and tow truck dragged me out of the water and dragged my car to...an area that at least wasn't a puddle.

In that car, I did everything imaginable. I read the Bible, and prayed, and cried, and yelled, and begged with God, and whispered, and did everything and felt every emotion from one extreme to another. I envisioned sleeping in my undrivable car overnight. And then I thought of home. Our basement flooded two weeks ago and I knew it was going to be worse this time around. Mom was home alone trying to get the basement dry. I sat in my car for about 75-80 minutes waiting for the rain to let up. I knew there would be no more driving. I just wanted to run home. At midnight, I took off. I got home and I was so relieved to be back. She cleaned that basement like nobody's business. It's still wet, but it's nowhere bad as what I thought it would be.

My car had to be towed. It wouldn't start this morning. And now the forecast is for more rain tonight. Oh joy. I can't wait. Mom brought 20 bags of topsoil and a tarp to help prevent water from leaking down into the window that leads to the basement. Hopefully, it will absorb the damage that will be savaging St. Charles once again in a few hours.

No comments: