Monday, December 27, 2004

I'm baaaaack! East Coast, Pizza, Bakeries, Jets, etc.

Miss me? I know, sometimes I miss me too. I have a lot to talk about so let's get right to it.

First off, I hit the east coast this week and it went well. After driving to Youngstown, OH with mom and seeing Hogan for a brief time, I headed off with my grandparents down to CT. That took 12 hours! That's a lot of hours and a lot of naps. Fortunately, I was able to listen to WFAN radio in the car and listened to 3 hours of Joe Benigno. Oh I wish I could get WFAN in Chicago.

I visited my uncle's family in Staten Island. Man you want to talk about a meal! From the pork roast to the sausage stuffing, green beans, stuffed mushrooms, carrots and onions, bourbon sweet potatoes, corn pudding (which always gets my father excited), the antipasto (salami, pepperoni, shrimp cocktail, provolone, bread, pepperoni bread), the apple bread pudding, cannolis, yeah, it's suffice to say I was satisfied. I drank a little wine, which I never do outside of sampling at CPK. It was a sweet dessert wine and it wasn't half bad. I prompted a prayer before the meal, and I'm glad I did. Not to go into detail, but throughout the week, I really saw the different ways families can come together or grow apart. God really can be the unifier if people would let him be.

My cousin is growing up fast. I don't see her much, but I've seen her 3 times in the last 18 months. She's now a junior in high school, taking some AP classes, has a boyfriend. Man, it's like my little sister grew up before I knew it.

Oh, I got to eat some real east coast food. And if you've never been there, you don;t know what I mean. I hit downtown Metuchen, NJ on Sunday and came away with 24 bagels, 5 powdered crumb buns (actually 4 because I gobbled one before I came home), 3 vanilla/chocolate man cookies for mum), 2 french baguettes, and 2 round seeded rolls. God, those people know how to cook their carbs.

I ate some New York pizza in a Ohio mall if you can believe it. It was called Bruno Bros. Pizza. Everything New York was there. Calzones, Strombolis, Chef salads, you name it. That was all I needed to make my week worthwhile. So from now on, every month or so, I will be driving 5 hours, paying 16 dollars in tolls, and burning up 3 tanks of gas, to bring back a couple of pies to our deprived family in St. Charles, Illinois. It would be worth it.

I finally visited Ground Zero. Tough to see all the emptiness all around. So much rubble and yet they've cleaned a lot out. I was walking down the street observing the murals. All of a sudden, I heard a siren wailing. I shivered and jumped up just a little. I'll be very interested to see what NYC does for a memorial site.

OK now it's time to get right into sports. Particularly my sports soliloquies. Let me start out with this. If you or anyone out there thinks the New York Jets still have a chance to at least win a playoff game, guess what? I got a skyscraper in Sioux Falls, South Dakota I could sell you. Maybe we can work something out. This was a putrid effort, no, I can't use the word effort. It was a putrid, disgusting 2 hours I had to endure watching the Jets stink out Giants Stadium like the circus was next door. Did they give a damn about that game. Do they even care? I'm worried now that Chad Pennington cannot win a big game against a big team. I never thought I'd say it, but I have to face it now. But he looked like a high school quarterback out there. Now it wasn't all his fault. Curtis Martin looked 50 years old. The receivers couldn't get open or hold onto a pass. The defensive line put no pressure on Hollywood Brady. Erik Coleman and David Barrett got abused in the secondary like a criminal on Cops. Nobody showed up, except I think Fireman Ed and the Klecko family. It was horrific. I really wished I was on a plane while this was going on, so I would have at least had a couple of vomit bags right in front of me. And typical Giants blow a 10 point lead and lose to Cincinnati by 1 point. At least that game was entertaining. Just a horrible day for me in sports.

The Mets signed a couple of guys. Andres Galaragga, who I think qualifies for Social Security, signed a 1 year deal. Infielder Marlon Anderson and outfielder Kerry Robinson signed. They will help compensate for Mike Cameron's wrist injury, which will keep him out through May. They brought back a few pitchers, including Orber Moreno, which I think is a great move. He's had some arm problems, but has a great velocity. He should be put straight into the Met bullpen. Grant Roberts and Scott Strickland will be back, and if just one of them can come back from their respective injuries, that will be key. Rick Peterson, are you reading??? And I'm very excited to see they signed Luis Garcia away from the White Sox. He can play first base or outfield and hit 32 homers and 95 RBI's in the PCL last year. Watch this kid.

Ugh. Fantasy football has one night left. I trail by 9 points going into Monday night. I need 10 to win because I lose the tiebreaker. I have the Philadelphia defense. A shutout and a few sacks and turnovers would be nice. GO EAGLES!!! I want a championship! What makes me sick is if I had played Washington I would have had 13 and everything would basically be wrapped up. I hadn't had Internet access since Tuesday so I was limited in moves I can make. Hey CT thanks for taking me off the Internet!

I have now joined human civilization. I have a cell number. I am convict #679-128946. No, I'll have further information later on.

TO BG-ORLANDO HERNANDEZ?! You've replaced El Caballo with El Duque. Who's the next El coming to U.S. Cellular? El Guapo Rich Garces?

TO RWB-Four words: Fitzroy wears western outfits!

No comments: