Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Peterson ponderings

Listen, I feel like listing a little alliteration. Try saying that 3 times fast. All right now peeps. From time to time I will discuss current events. That will happen when an event happens that I feel like writing about. Makes sense right? After all this is my space.

Anyway, I read Scott Peterson is being sentenced to death. I don't think we should call it the death penalty. I think we should call it the "Time to wonder why I did something so stupid" penaly. Here's what I mean. Since California brought back capital punishment in 1978, only 10 executions have been carried out. The last execution was in 2002. That was for a murder committed in 1980. So he may not get executed for 20-30 years. To me that seems better than life in prison.

To me if I had my choice between 60 years in jail and probably dying in there or 20-30 years in jail and dying, I'd take the latter in a minute. Maybe it's because I value my freedom and I probably couldn't stand to have it taken away from me. I couldn't imagine the passive, restricted, lifeless mental state that comes with being institutionalized. I think Morgan Freeman siad it best in "The Shawshank Redemption" when he talked about prison. "They sentence you to life and that's exaclty what they take."

So for someone like me, the less time I were to do in jail the better. After the 23 years I've lived so far, I'd rather just die quickly than suffer for decades in a tiny dark cell. I believe Scott Peterson feels the same feelings tonight.

No comments: