Saturday, September 17, 2005

Food for thought

Mom says I should go with what I feel passionate about. Well I guess food qualifies. Now one of the more interesting things about me, I think, is my total disdain for chocolate. I have never brought a candy bar in my life. Though I think I'm making up for it now by eating 2 or 3 Vanilla Yogurt Protein Plus PowerBars a week! With that in mind, I thought I'd list my top 5 desserts. This is for 2 reasons. 1) To share the love of good food and 2) To show there's more to dessert than chocolate. In the event there are any women reading this, stick with me here.

5) Mom and Mine's Sour Cream Coffee Cake- Hey if you use half a pound of butter in anything, it's gotta taste pretty good to me. This is a classic "lick the spoon" batter. Yeah, it may not be cool, Carlito, but it's soooo good. Granted, you can't order this from us. Maybe if you give a little, you can get a little.

4) CPK's Key Lime Pie- I've had my fair share of key lime pies in my time. I've had them at Erik and Me in St. Charles, Pappadeaux in Westmont, Cheeseburger in Paradise in Downers Grove. It keeps coming back to the same problem. The filling is so tart. It's like you've just sucked on a lemon. Dat's not cool! But what I love about this one is the filling tastes really light. Like meringue. The graham cracker crust is firm, yet crumbly. And the spiral of fresh whipped cream with a twist of lime slice on the side makes for a fine presentation. Now to endorse the restaurant that I worked at takes some doing. But no matter what I think of the managers, the pie is worth coming. And I hear Red Lobster serves the same one. I haven't eaten there since gas was under $1.50! The pie could bring me back though.

3) Fresh Market's Apple Cinnamon Walnut Crumb Cake- I've had this once it knocked me out. I think almost any cake is better with something extra in it, whether it's fruits, nuts, vegetables, whatever. The chopped apple, crunchy walnut, and spices is a great mix. And heated in the microwave puts it over the top. I know a lot of places probably make a similar cake. But Fresh Market just knows what they're doing. This fancy grocery store is only in a couple of states, but they have some rock-solid stuff. PS Try their lamb kabobs!

2) Junior's Cheesecake- Brooklyn in the House! If you're a lifelong midwesterner, and don't know Junior's, shame on you. Tell me about Eli's cheesecake all you want. Listen, I like Eli's well enough. Try this and you never go back. Comparing any cheesecake to Junior's is like comparing takeout Chinese to PF Changs. You never go back. The sponge cake base just separates it from pretty much any other cheesecake. The sponge cake adds a smoooooooooooooooooth flavor you just don't get from grahams. (I wish I could've put that last sentence into a sound byte!) The fruit flavored ones are special. Apple crumb, peach crumb, cherry. They have a fruit sampler cheesecake that is great for variety. A classic. Plain and simple.

1) Carole's Cookies- You may or may not know about these. If you don't, you are now enlightened. Simply stated, the perfect cookie. These cookies are huge, they're fresh, they're full of flavor. These are only available in a few areas around the country. I get mine at Whole Foods. They cost about $2.50 each. In fact I picked up 2 oatmeal raisin with pecan today. Drove 30 minutes to get 'em. I get cinnamon swirl when available. The next thing I want to try is their sugar cookie with some ice cream and fresh strawberries. Yeah yeah, you can have ch. chip, peanut butter, white chocolate macademia nut... I microwave mine for about 33.6 seconds and then go nuts. If I'm really feeling into it, I'll heat up a cinnamon one, and scoop some vanilla ice cream on top! Oh yeah babe...

OK, by this time you're either salivating or ready to pass out. I'm guessing my dad is in the latter category...

No comments: