Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Jim Croce

I picked up another Jim Croce record last week. My last one had 41 songs and this has one has 50. That's the one thing about short songs, you can get a lot more of them on each CD. With a Led Zeppelin record, you can get three songs on each one and they lyrics make no sense anyway.

So there were a few songs I had not heard, and while some were gems, some sounded very similar too each other. The similar sounding tunes were his duets with his wife Ingrid from the early days. The best one is Child of Midnight, not a song for children by the way. The three songs from the later days, More Than That Tomorrow. Maybe Tomorrow, And I Remember Her are excellent. "Remember" is a gem that only a handful of us have been fortunate enough to hear. A story about a guy who meets a woman working in Paris and I'll leave it at that.

Mom gives me a little bit of flack about liking Croce. Hell, the guy died eight years before I was born! But he writes quick, relatable songs. The words are the key, the stories are unique, and the guitars and whatever other instruments are used just enhance the message (the harpsichord on Time in a Bottle). Thanks for the music, Jim.