Friday, September 02, 2005

Sports thoughts

Well, my Mets had a good shot, but they obviously choked. Losing 2 of 3 at home to Phillly after winning the first game so dramatically is the tip of the iceberg. Now it's a 10-game road trip which will be the final nail in the coffin.

3 against Florida. We're facing Willis, Beckett, and Burnett.
3 against Atlanta. Enough said. Those pricks.
4 against st. Louis. The best team in baseball.

If we go 5-5 it'll be a miracle. It's been a good season. We've improved form the last 4 years. We've got some good young kids. But there is an ingredient missing. The perfect find would be a power hitting second baseman. We need a run producer who can drive in Reyes and Beltran. Cairo is playing too much. He needs to be a role player. Matsui is starting once a week which is one time too many.

I feel good with the pitching, though I'd prefer Looper setting up, not closing. But how often can you find a Billy Wagner or Brad Lidge?

The Liberty are done and they were never really in it anyway.

One week till football and thank God. I'm going to start on the NFC.

I think if the Giants can stop the run on defense, they will make the playoffs. They could very well be the breakout team this year. Eli is starting full time, Burress is in at WR, Brandon Jacobs will be a solid short yard rusher, Kareem McKenzie is at right tackle, and Jeremy Shockey is poised to return to his rookie form. This offense could be special as long as Eli is efficient and doesn't turn the ball over.

I pick Philly, Carolina, Minnesota, and Seattle to win their divisions with the Giants and Bucs taking wild card spots. Dallas will make it if the Giants don't and I think Green Bay will be brutal on defense, bringing them down. Arizona could have an interesting offense with Kurt Warner, JJ Arrington, Larry Fitzgerald, and Anquan Boldin. As for my adopted locals the Bears, well health is everything. I want to see two things. Can Kyle Orton become a decent starter? I personally would have started out with Jeff Blake at QB. With the speed of these receivers, I'd play the QB who throws a great deep pass. And two, who will emerge at running back. Thomas Jones is the incumbent. Cedric Benson held out longer than my last girlfriend, and Adrian Peterson of all people led the team in rushing during the pre-season.

Over to the AFC. I don't know what to thin about my team. Every time the Jets have high expectations going into a season, they always collapse. 1982. Walt Michaels gets fired and Richard Todd gets traded to New Orleans. 1999. Vinny Testaverde tears his Achilles in the first game and the season's torn with it. So I get a little uneasy when I hear "experts" start to respect the Jets. And Sean Salisbury of ESPN said the Jets have the worst QB situation of ANY TEAM in the NFL. Yeah right Sean. The only way we have that problem is if you bring your lazy ass out of retirement and put on a green and white helmet. I'm not exactly shuddering if Jay Fiedler has to take over.

There doesn't seem to be a huge weakness. But there are some little questions that need to be answered. Can Chad get through the season healthy? How long will it take him to adjust to new offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger's new offense? (I just wanted to type Heimerdinger!) Can Derrick Blaylock step in for the departed Lamont Jordan (who will be incredible with Oakland). Who will play DT alongside Dewayne Robertson? Can John Abraham stay on the field for a change? Can the aging left side of the offensive line stay healthy, which seemingly the whole team did last year?

I pick the Patsies, Ravens, Colts, and Chiefs with the Jets and Steelers getting wild card spots. The Bills and Chargers will come very close, but not close enough. I wonder if San Diego is a 1-year wonder or if they will have another great season. They have Tomlinson, so that helps. But they're not going to sneak up on teams like they did last year. The Raiders will have the biggest discrepancy between offense and defense ever. This will be like San Diego of the early 80's. Collins, Jordan, Moss, Porter, Curry. Wow. Now, the Bengals will be interesting. Carson Palmer may be ready to emerge and their defense is developing. But this isn't a team that has learned how to win yet. It ain't happening now. Pittsburgh will be solid, but I see something going awry. Whether Bettis gets old this year, Roethlisberger gets jinxed, or injuries amount, something just doesn't seem right. Oh maybe it was that piss poor performance in the AFC title game last year...

I'll be in 2 fantasy leagues and making my picks each week as always. Maybe I'll post them here. All 2 of you who read this will know about them!

Brad Faxon finally wins a PGA tour event. He's now 20 on the money list, up about 40 spots. Good to see him win after 4 years. When he gets on the senior tour in 6 years, he'll be unstoppable with his short game. Now I hear he has to have knee surgery. He won that tournament on a TORN FRICKIN' ACL! So much for faxin' it in!

Hockey on OLN!!! It's sad we're on OLN. The home of Survivor reruns and Monster truck rallies. At least the Rangers will be on TV a bunch of times. It's only because they wear the "New York" on the jersey. No other reason. But at least we get to watch hockey come October. And I WILL be in the United Center when the Blueshirts visit the United Center. With Nikolai Khabibulin goalkeeping for Chicago now, I'll probably see a shutout. Then again, I've never been to a Blackhawk game since I've been living here, so it will be a cool moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why do you refer to the Braves as pricks? Isn't that a little too strong?